trkravtin

A Rep Reading

In the Shadow of Blackbirds
Cat Winters
The Worst Hard Time: The Untold Story of Those Who Survived the Great American Dust Bowl
Timothy Egan

What It's Like to Climb Mount Everest, Blast Off into Space, Survive a Tornado, and Other Extraordinary Stories - Jeff Belanger First Look: I was able to read three stories. One by Bethany Hamilton, the young surfer who's arm was bitten off by a shark. Lieutenant Jeff Kraft, a firefighter, tells of running into a burning building to save two lives, and Joe Hurley recounts his pledge to walk across America from Provincetown, MA to Long Beach, CA via US Route 6.Each of these stories is told in the first person, and allows the reader to perceive what each experience was like from the point of view of each author. The stories feature a life challenge and the means with which the person faced and dealt with their situation. Very valuable to readers, showing how each of us are likely more capable than we ever realize. It's only when encountering obstacles that we learn how resilient we are.