trkravtin

A Rep Reading

In the Shadow of Blackbirds
Cat Winters
The Worst Hard Time: The Untold Story of Those Who Survived the Great American Dust Bowl
Timothy Egan

The Night Bookmobile

The Night Bookmobile - Audrey Niffenegger This rating started out as three stars. I have great admiration for this graphic novel in which the story flows very easily, and the graphic nature of the story is compelling and fits the narrative appropriately. I marveled at the idea of a library of one's lifetime of reading. I thought back to my own childhood and the books I poured over at home on my bed, or my own visits to the library and the sensations that are forever etched into my experience. Like the character Alexandra, I have always been a reader. If you're drawn to Niffenegger's novels or graphic works, then, you are, too. From the After Words following the story, Niffenegger says The Night Bookmobile is a story "about the claims that books place on their readers, the imbalance between our inner and outer lives, a cautionary tale of the seductions of the written word."I am a sensitive soul, and Niffenegger can be quirky in a dark way. So, I was taken aback at the turn in the story. The story emanates from an inspiration in a dream, and so, this dream-like story continues. Dreams are peculiar, and in the safety of dreams, illogical events are inevitable. Hence, three stars at first, instead of four. What is helpful, is the care the author takes with the supplemental After Words and acknowledgments at the back of the book. For me, it put the story in a context that allows room for contemplation. I am a sensitive soul. Niffenegger is much braver than I am. Now after writing this review, I'm changing it to four stars.