trkravtin

A Rep Reading

In the Shadow of Blackbirds
Cat Winters
The Worst Hard Time: The Untold Story of Those Who Survived the Great American Dust Bowl
Timothy Egan

If I Never Forever Endeavor

If I Never Forever Endeavor - Holly Meade A favorite of the spring 2010 Candlewick picture book list. First, the illustrations: I'm not sure of the technique and I'm reading page proofs, so that may be revealed in the finished version. Innovative, wood-cut like pattern designs depict tree trunks, limbs, needles, cones, nests, and birds in an imaginative new way. The text: lovely refrains of rhythm, and rhyme that are fresh, a treat to read aloud, and introduce a few words that stretch the vocabulary of the average child. The theme? What will happen if you never risk spreading your wings, metaphorically speaking, and fly, experience your full potential and be who you are to the best of your ability? This allows the book to transcend to the level of gift book for any age, much like Dr. Seuss' Oh! The Places You Will Go, or Nikki McClure's All In a Day. I think adults will like this just as much as children. Highly recommended.