trkravtin

A Rep Reading

In the Shadow of Blackbirds
Cat Winters
The Worst Hard Time: The Untold Story of Those Who Survived the Great American Dust Bowl
Timothy Egan

My Uncle Martin's Words for America: Martin Luther King Jr.'s Niece Tells How He Made a Difference - Angela Farris Watkins, Eric Velasquez A beautifully illustrated encapsulation of the essence of the power of the nonviolent movement for social change. Martin Luther King's niece structures the picture book around pivotal concepts used to change a segregated society in America to an integrated nation. Using love, nonviolence, justice, freedom, brotherhood, and equality, featured in scenes from pivotal moments in the struggle for civil rights in the 1960's, author Angela Farris Watkins, tells a story important for all in a format that even young ones can comprehend. There is an author's note, an artist's note, a Civil Rights timeline, a glossary, a bibliography, a related books reading list, and illustrations featuring prominent African-Americans since the gains of such an important chapter in our nation's history.