trkravtin

A Rep Reading

In the Shadow of Blackbirds
Cat Winters
The Worst Hard Time: The Untold Story of Those Who Survived the Great American Dust Bowl
Timothy Egan

The Squirrel's Birthday and Other Parties

The Squirrel's Birthday and Other Parties - Toon Tellegen, Jessica Ahlberg My childhood was not one of parties. At least not the way of recent generations of children. The wide assortment of parties depicted in this charming book are all so marvelously civilized, that I would love to have attended any one of them. Squirrel's birthday party in which Squirrel makes everyone an individual cake. A party to celebrate a renovation, in which dancing is discussed. "Shall we talk about dancing?" (Giraffe asks flamingo) "I never get an opportunity to discuss that with anyone, and it's so difficult to explain." A sophisticated leopard party, a wish list of "all kinds of things", a cake for someone who doesn't feel like cake, a seagull's invitation to a lonely whale, and others make The Squirrel's Birthday and Other Parties so delightful. Author Toon Tellegen is one of Holland's most celebrated writers and poets. These stories began as bedtime stories and are now compiled in this lovely collection, and a companion book, Letters to Anyone and Everyone. Illustrated by Jessica Ahlberg throughout with tiny delicate drawings, these parties are sure to charm a whole new audience of readers.