trkravtin

A Rep Reading

In the Shadow of Blackbirds
Cat Winters
The Worst Hard Time: The Untold Story of Those Who Survived the Great American Dust Bowl
Timothy Egan

I'm Feeling Lucky: The Confessions of Google Employee Number 59

I'm Feeling Lucky: The Confessions of Google Employee Number 59 - Douglas Edwards Wow. A fast-paced, funny, insightful account of a newspaper marketing manager taking a career risk to join a start-up tech company "with no revenue and no discernible business plan". From the interview process to his ultimate departure, Edwards weaves a fascinating everyman's tale of the meteoric evolution of an engineering company into a Silicon Valley success story.I found myself marveling that Google was not always the go-to search engine that it is today. In a blip on the cosmic pathway, the technology at the heart of Google took the industry by storm. Edwards' task, was to enunciate the "voice" of the company, keeping the consumer clearly in focus during every aspect of the company's interaction with the public. It is this unique perspective that makes Edwards the perfect host to accompany the reader on this journey.From the personalities of the highly intelligent employees, the struggles to maintain a nimble, nurturing creative environment, to the inevitable challenges of growth and change, Edwards manages to tell an entertaining, introspective, revelatory tale. I came away with a clearer understanding of what business is like in the tech sector, from the inside out. Highly recommended.