trkravtin

A Rep Reading

In the Shadow of Blackbirds
Cat Winters
The Worst Hard Time: The Untold Story of Those Who Survived the Great American Dust Bowl
Timothy Egan

Maggot Moon

Maggot Moon - Sally Gardner A book to challenge the reader. There is the story, and then there is the style in which the story is told. The description of the book is straightforward, but the magic lies within the unconventional structure, which is unsettling and yet propels the action that unfolds with a necessary energy.The information about the author's dyslexyia is interesting and curious. The whole time I spent reading this book, I sensed I was being shown a perspective of reality through the eyes of one who sees things differently. There are short declarative chapters. There are quirky illustrations that uncannily accompany the narrative. There are snatches of recognizable themes that are all mixed up together, that keep the reader speculating. The simplicity of the plot belies the potency of the story. All of these factors factors fuel an offbeat reading experience of a world in turmoil.In the end, this is a hero's journey. Meet Standish. Find out for yourself. Let me know what you think about this book. It is a book that is ripe for discussion in as much for the themes as for the writing style. My sense is that I've just visited a parallel world that is frighteningly possible. Maggot Moon is a cautionary tale, the result of society making a few too many wrong turns, or failed corrections. Read as an ARC.A book that came to mind while reading this was [bc:Genesis|6171892|Genesis|Bernard Beckett|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1328955315s/6171892.jpg|6351510].